7.27.2011

Bangers and Mash

Every once in awhile I go into a ‘British Comfort Food’ kick. It hit me tonight so I decided to brave the stove, and make Bangers and Mash (more like a cheater’s version really). It came out well (yay! NOT FAILURE) so I’m going to keep this idea around for an easy, cheap dinner mostly for the winter.

I used Jenni-O turkey kielbasa for this, but I’m reasonably sure any sausage will work. I would suggest altering your flavors to blend with whatever flavor of sausage you have (i.e. don’t use chicken and apple sausage with pepper gravy). So I divided the kielbasa into 5 sections and put them in a skillet on medium heat with some EVOO and some Old Bay seasoning. I even managed to remember to turn them once or twice to prevent burning (go me!).

While the kielbasa started to warm through and brown a bit, I slide about 3, ¼” sections off a medium sized onion. I added these to the skillet, drizzled a bit more EVOO because the pan looked a bit dry and some more Old Bay seasoning.

Meanwhile in a small sauce pan I mixed a packet of McCormick’s Brown Gravy to package instructions. This would also be when I would normally start a pouch of Idohoan instant mahsed potatoes, but I had some left over in the fridge, so I cheated and used that instead. (See? Easy cheater’s method).

Once the kielbasa was cooked through, I moved them too a plate, and added the gravy to the onion and pan drippings, mixing them together and then going in for a taste test. I neded up adding some more Old Bay, and a splash (or a few splashes) of Riesling (a dry white wine).

Here’s what it looked like plated:

No comments:

Post a Comment

comment.